This project is read-only.

Great job, some usability suggestion

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Hi there, you've done great job.

Do you plan to tightly integrate meters with AERO? meters looks ugly in flip 3d and alt+tab switch. There must be the way to hide meters visibility from Desktop Window Manager API. 

somethin like that:

1. public partial class FormSample : Form
  2. {
  3.   [Flags]
  4.   public enum DwmWindowAttribute
  5.   {
  6.     Flip3DPolicy = 8
  7.   }
  8.   // Flip 3D policies
  9.   public enum Flip3DPolicy
  10.   {
  11.     Default = 0,
  12.     ExcludeBelow,
  13.     ExcludeAbove
  14.   }
  15.   [DllImport("dwmapi.dll", PreserveSig = false)]
  16.   public static extern int DwmSetWindowAttribute(IntPtr hwnd, int attr, ref int attrValue, intattrSize);
  17.   public static void SetFlip3DPolicy(IntPtr hwnd)
  18.   {
  19.     int attrValue = (int)Flip3DPolicy.ExcludeBelow;
  20.     DwmSetWindowAttribute(hwnd, (int)DwmWindowAttribute.Flip3DPolicy, ref attrValue, sizeof(int));
  21.   }
  22.   public FormSample()
  23.   {
  24.     InitializeComponent();
  25.     SetFlip3DPolicy(Handle);
  26.   }
  27. }

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

The apps were meant to be simple code samples demonstrating managed access to the Window 7 APIs, so I honestly hadn't even considered usability. However, they've received a lot of non-developer downloads, so it certainly makes sense now.

Your idea is a good one so I've incorporated the changes and they'll be in the next release. If you'd like them before that, feel free to download and build.

Thanks again,
Jeff 

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Hi there. Awesome.

I've downloaded sources as you said. Since I was using VS 2010 Express Beta 2 it converted project. After that I had to add reference for System.Xaml assembly (System.Xaml.dll from .NET) for all meters and core.

hiding meters from flip 3d for such apps is really good idea))) I tried to make patch myself, but you made it faster and better. (I'm not really programmer, just IT stuff)

I've tried to find a way to hide meters from alt+tab app switch but failed... maybe will try later. 

About bugs: 

Found bug - battery meter creates blank window and visible in flip3d... donnow if you need this info.

All meters use about 14 MB RAM. I mean one meter uses 14, sum 4 meters = 56 meters on my Win7 x64. Is this normal? I mean is this enormous usage because of Perfmon and taskmgr???

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM

It doesn't really seem important to me that flip3D is supported. That's always been a gimmick of a thing anyway. Nobody actually uses it to task switch do they? really? hehe

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

14mb is enormous?

I'm using two right now which consume 36mb out of 4gb I'm really not raising an eyebrow.

In years gone by I would have refused to install anything that started with Windows that used more than a few mb, but times have changed and it just doesn't seem important anymore.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I love the program and the idea, but the one thing that really bugs me, is that it shows up in both alt + tab and flip 3d (though i rarely use flip 3d). It would be great to see a way were either the program is hidden from these menus and/or make it only appear in the taskbar and not have a visible window (so when you hover you dont see the open window). But the main quirk is showing in alt + tab

May 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM
The tools look promising... but there's ABSOLUTELY NO DOCUMENTATION ON INSTALLING THEM.

What is one supposed to DO with them once they're unpacked?

I tried double-clicking on them, dragging the .exe's into the task bar, etc. I never actually got the little icons to appear. In some cases I see the configuration window with the sliders.

I'm using Windows 7 professional. Perhaps that has an effect?

In any case, it's really not obvious what one is supposed to. (And I'm a software developer with 30+ years experience.)
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:33 AM
hi,

to use them what I do is this. create a shortcut for each .exe file. I name mine CPU, RAM, and HDD. i then copy the shortcuts to the startup folder. this will cause them to start automatically when you login. to start them right away you can double click the shortcuts or .exe files. minimize them once they start. lastly pin them to your taskbar.

anthony