Temperature meter?

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Outstanding little widgets! Any chance of doing the same sort of thing for temperatures? On a laptop it can be important to track the temps and this would be a great and non-intrusive way to do that!

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:20 AM
sbussinger wrote:

Outstanding little widgets! Any chance of doing the same sort of thing for temperatures? On a laptop it can be important to track the temps and this would be a great and non-intrusive way to do that!

Realy good! I also want  to track the temps in task bar.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Interesting idea.

What temps are you looking for exactly? CPU? Something else? I'll look for the APIs this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM
jeffreykey wrote:

Interesting idea.

What temps are you looking for exactly? CPU? Something else? I'll look for the APIs this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff

Now I use the core temp from Artur Liberman _www.alcpu.com_

I do not like it. You design is more better. I look for temp processor core meter as your design.

I need you put a digital value in task bar.

It will be like "all in one" - cpu - mem - core temp - in your design.

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:53 PM
jeffreykey wrote:

Well, I guess that would depend a bit on how carried away you want to get and which temperatures are readily available. There are CPU temperatures (each core), hard disk temperatures, video card temperatures, and case temperatures. Running the HWMonitor utility on my laptop shows me 6 different temperatures:

HWMonitor screenshot

The whole point of your utility is to simplify the display so obviously we need to reduce the data down to something simple. The CPU and GPU temperatures are the important ones as they will change drastically depending on the workload. The others are much more static. I've seen both the CPU and GPU temperatures soar during benchmarks to 85 degrees C or more. I guess that the perfect solution would be the ability to display all of those temps when hovering over the taskbar icon along with the sliders for each item indicating what's normal, warm and hot for that measurement. The taskbar icon would display based on which measurements are the highest percentage of their allowable ranges.

In other words, I'd like to know if my hard drive exceeds 60 degrees, if my CPU's exceed 70 degrees, or my GPU exceeds 80 degrees. The more I talk about this the more complicated it sounds, but the more excited I get about it. <grin>

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Incidentally, I think a temp monitor like this would be a very popular utility. There are a hundred CPU and memory monitors out there, but very few temperature monitors for some reason (I have a hunch actually getting the temperature data is hard). I've been looking for a small gadget-like utility for monitoring temperatures for years and there's very little out there to pick from. A small, simple, free utility like this would go over very well I think because I've seen lots of other people looking for the same thing.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I would love to see a monitor for temperatures that could be added to the taskbar the same way these monitors are. That way I could view them at all times without needing to minimize my active windows.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Some excellent ideas and I'd also reinforce the idea that simple is best. CPU and GPU would probably be enough.

I think the reason you don't see many temp monitors that actually get their own temp info and don't piggy back on top of say Everest or speedfan is the motherboard manufacturers don't release the information readily enough for programmers to really easily tap into providing temps for a wide range of boards.

My solution so far has been to use Everest running all the time displaying its onscreen list of temps for cpu/mobo/gpu/hd's. It makes for a neat little list that can just sit in the corner of the desktop without bothering me. It doesn't seem to get in the way of games or complex apps that take over Windows like some I could mention.

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Folks,

I looked into this a while ago and it looks like much of this information is proprietary, i.e. there isn't a nice abstraction via API. So I won't be taking it on, but the source is here in CodePlex so anyone else that would like to give it a go is more than welcome!